Monday 9 May 2011

Many sighs of relief this week. We don’t have to worry about bank holidays this weekend, the work load has eased slightly, got my hair cut, the temperature has dropped, Southampton secured automatic promotion to the Championship and best of all we have had two nights of heavy rain. Ok, we have had the odd little flood but who cares, everything looks so much better for a refreshing splash. With a bit of luck this will also freshen up peoples enthusiasm for the outdoor pursuits and give all gardens a bit of a boost. It’s quite a comparison to last Sunday when the really strong dry winds were ripping off the fresh poplar leaves and young branches of our main windbreak, littering the nursery as if it was autumn.

To save the brain working too hard I have started writing the odd note during the week, of things to mention but naturally I can’t remember where I’ve put it, so I’ll have to try and recall the highlights as best I can.

Luckily we didn’t have to work too late this week as we did have a concert to attend on Wednesday evening. Jools Holland and his huge band provided a jolly and very loud bash and everyone looked to have a good time. Ok I admit it, this wasn’t one of my favourites, I’m not very good at community clapping or singing on demand, it was all a bit to manufactured for me which was a shame because there were some very talented musicians among the 20 or so on stage. Sandie Shaw made a guest appearance which was a surprise, and she looked fabulous especially considering she is 64. We reckon she must have pinched a pair of legs from an 18 year old.

It was all a bit of a rush to get there on time especially as I thought I ought to get my hair cut before entering the real world again. While the pizzas were warming in the oven Caroline whisked over me with the clippers and I got the whole thing done and myself showered off in 30 minutes (this exercise helps cover the mortgage payments made to cover Carolines trips to the real hairdressers!). Then there is the tricky bit of eating hot pizza in my only nice shirt just prior to rushing out. Easy solution, don’t get dressed until after eating. Slight hiccup as I sit at the kitchen table juggling hot pizza in my undies, when the ladies from the Cat Protection turn up and troop through with a late cat delivery. Not a word was spoken as I shuffled further under the table and acted cool!

On Saturday I was lucky enough to get a ticket for the last home game of the season at Southampton to see them seal promotion back to the Championship. A sell-out crowd saw a very entertaining game with lots of action and goals (won 3-1) and there was a fantastic party atmosphere by the end. Even the opposition (Walsall) were celebrating as they had been in danger of relegation if other games had gone against them but they escaped despite losing and in the end everyone lived happily ever after. Quite a contrast to the past few seasons of relegation and near bankruptcy.

Eco news
After another week of irrigating and now some real rain, the recently sown wild flower strip is well up. The new hedge has shot well too with the extra water, although we will have to pull a few weeds out to reduce the competition a bit. The mulch we put down did ok but the odd weed that got away has got really big suddenly.

Things look like they are about to kick off with the turbine construction. The way-leaves etc are all sorted by the grid folk and they reckon we should be wiring up in about a month. A programme of dates is nearly ready and I’ve lined up the trench and ground works team to be ready to go. The foundation installers are also looking at dates to install hopefully before the supply is actually in, so that the concrete has time to cure before the masts are bolted on. Naturally we are expecting the wind which has been incessant over the last few weeks to die away in mid June.

Have a good week, from all at Kirton Farm Nurseries

No comments:

Post a Comment