Monday 19 January 2015

Hirsute Availability

Morning all,

Where is all the time going? I can’t keep up with all the action over this first couple of weeks of the year. This is supposed to be the quiet relaxing time when we can finish on time and cosy up by the wood burner toasting our crumpets.
Two big jobs have been competing for attention, I am very close to finishing up the 2015 catalogue, so just hang on a day or two for that, and the preparations for the new labels are coming together really quickly, so close to being ready for that too. The new labels printed for us by Floramedia arrived early last week which was a week ahead of schedule and very welcome, as we could then get stuck into the task of clearing the last of the old style and repopulating the shelves with the new, all bundled up by us into 12’s ready for pot insertion. The labels are a joy to bundle, just looking so good, I can’t wait to see them all out on parade in a plant display. We are also tweaking the tray header images to complement the new labels, we are going to look so co-ordinated I’m thinking of issuing everyone here with matching shell suits to complete the deal. The newly hewn bamboo skewer dispensers have been screwed together, treated and hung on the benches, another Blue Peter installation makes its mark at Kirton Farm. Plant trimming and tidying carries on at pace too as well as overtime starting already for those locked away in the microprop lab as they endeavour to keep up with the mounting spring workload. It’s all go.
The winter cash-flow is getting closer to its low point and the nervous monetary juggling is already underway, it’s a shame when we are making all these new investments that it is still such a struggle but there you go, such is life in the plant growing game. Still a couple of months until the income picks up a bit so better not dwell on it too long just yet or I’ll struggle to make it out of bed and skip to work. In the end we have to focus on the positives to get our rewards and inspiration. Luckily I can often bathe in the glory of a few simple things, a well stocked wood pile, flushing loo’s, hot water on tap, and getting through the night without a break! I find using one or two triggers to prompt healthy thoughts points me in the right direction. If the tea bag goes straight in the mug from the other side of the table at breakfast we are off to a great start and when I flip the shower squeegee and catch it, the day has ended on a high. The way my eyesight is going I might have to make the morning trigger a bit easier or the mug a bit bigger.
Just want to express my gratitude to the NHS in my own little way after they seem to be under the cosh a bit in recent weeks. What a relief it is that you can so often be sorted out by a professional if you get into trouble, whether it’s a major trauma or just needing to be patched up. Even minor ailments can be miserable and stressful and to be able to go somewhere nearby for help is just such a fantastic thing to be able to do, even if you have to wait a bit to get it. I booked an appointment with our GP before Christmas for a couple of things I’d been saving up to get sorted and not only was he able to explain away my ailments which helped reduced any anxiety, but also provided me with remedies to get them sorted and supplied a pack of special pills for my intermittent back problem (previously sorted out in casualty last summer). On top of all this I topped up on my education too. The GP had to check out my ears as part of my appointment and very tactfully commented that I had very hirsute ears. Now I had for some reason always assumed that hirsute maent something similar to suave or sophisticated but as I thanked him for the compliment I realised I might be wrong. Obviously I recognised that an acceleration of follicle growth in the area was becoming a feature as the years passed but I hadn’t realised that being hirsute was a more tactful description. Live and learn.
Availability
There are signs of early growth on a few lines and the odd bud or two showing so spring isn’t too far away. Hopefully we won’t all disappear under a snowdrift anytime soon or get too frozen out, but all the stock is kept cold and well ventilated so should be pretty tough. As the days lengthen the first strong flush of growth comes along pretty quickly so do keep an eye on our emails to see things develop and the spring buds appear, it won’t be long. With the new look labelling and a bit of half decent weather we can get together an attractive display to kick off 2015 sales.
Have a good one, from all at Kirton Farm Nurseries

No comments:

Post a Comment