Monday 15 August 2016

Hairy Nose

Morning all,
Just a very quick update this week as time is getting in short supply. I missed last week’s due to severe man flu and general brain failure. If there was an Olympic event for endurance nose running I’d be among the medallists.
Well done to all the Olympic participants I feel inspired, if a little drowsy. I wasn’t sure I would get into this one with the different time zone but I’m watching all sorts of stuff I wouldn’t normally dream of. The dressage was one step too far for me but the trampoline final was great. I tried it once but my back went into spasm almost instantly which finished a promising career rather early.
Great meteor shower display last night, lots to see and always a wondrous thing to behold. I never manage to be organised for it with a chair or suitable attire, I just step out and stare. The crick in my neck kicks in after a bit and I start seeing my own stars but when the real thing flashes by the childlike excitement surges to the surface. Good job we have no neighbours to hear my own self commentary on the events unfolding before me. Who needs modern Pokemon Go to have a good time.
Bonkers week just passed by, one member of staff gone and three new ones in (well 2 new and one returning), three on holiday and one driver off on another job for a bit. Lots of orders, lots of potting and lots of tunnel clearing. A nice quiet time for me to nurture my incapacity and general bewilderment. Hoping for a quieter week coming up to recharge and get stuck into that potting.
Rushing off to see the Saints opening game, hoping to recognise a few players but I’m not sure quite who is left in the squad. Some good player and manager sales again this summer which should help the clubs bank balance, can’t wait to see if the new crew are up to it. Quality opposition today with visitors Watford so hoping for some goal action. Odds on 0-0.

Availability highlights
I’m afraid there is not a lot of stock in bud/flower this week, good sales and that lull between summer and autumn flowering stock have left us a little short, but there is still some lovely looking stock.
Plenty of buds are showing on our mini garden Chrysanthemum range. There will be masses to follow of these non frost hardy stunners. Tight compact plants with very dinky flowers in a great colour range.
We still have a few Erigeron karvinskianus at the moment, in bud and flower. This one blooms for an age.
A widening range of Asters are appearing with more and more bud and colour showing and the rest won’t be long away. We have several new varieties, many mildew free/resistant (ageratoides and frikartii types) and we are working on some techniques for earlier flowering batches for next year.
We have a fresh batch of Persicaria amplex Taurus with bud showing but not a large number available just yet.
Have a good one, from all at Kirton Farm Nurseries


No comments:

Post a Comment